Saturday, April 5, 2008

Day 0 - 2


Day 0:For anyone who doesn't know yet, this is where I will tell you. The building I live(d) in caught fire on Monday, March 31st while I was at work. No one was harmed or hurt, all animals survived. The fire, which started outside below my condo raged upwards destroying my deck and the wall, and completely took all the homes above me out. My place is still intact but I suffered severe water damage. This is what it looked like when I arrived only an hour after the events.




I'm in the middle floor.
I got in around 4pm after my friend Whitney gave me a buzz about it. I assumed the worse and that I'd lost everything and when I got there I figured that was a good guess. All the officials were there and the Red Cross along with friends and family. People at work were nice enough to drive me there but there was nothing I can do but wait for more information. We had a meeting late at night where they brought us up to speed and what needed to be done and afterwards and they explained how the building would probably be torn down and I'd be homeless for a year at least. We then got burgers and I went to bed. I slept alright that night, trying not to think about it but that wouldn't last.Day 1:When I woke up, I couldn't help but think and hope on what I could get back and what I can't. I worried that my comics (1+ years worth) were soaked, that all my movies and video games were wet, my old school games (Atari, SNES, etc) where out in the open and probably soaked. My Xbox, HDTV, Wii, PS2, etc were also probably gone. After a while I realized I wasn't falling back to sleep and got up. I think I've recently become allergic to my house, so spending the night resulted in red eyes and a sore throat. I spent the day with my dad doing as much as possible. I spoke with dectectives explaining what I knew, what I had on the deck, and any posisble theories. I really had none. It was mentioned that the people above us smoked on their deck but no evidence or explanation for the fire has been found. I cancel my cable and eletric bill, got a new gym card made. Of course, Patriot Media/Comcast will be billing me for the lost modem and cable box. I went and bought underwear, socks, and some pants from Old Navy. Old Navy didn't have my jean size, jerks. We also met on site with the insurance people and of course our coverage plan isn't as good as I'd hope. After dealing with that, we went to get my tax stuff, had the mail rerouted, and went home. Liz came by and we went to the mall (Menlo Park) to see if I could get more stuff. We hit Old Navy and got more stuff (still no jeans at 2nd location!) and tried other stores. I didn't know if my clothes might be salvagable so I didn't want to buy much. We ate Chick-Fil-A and went home. We watch a bunch of Ninja Warrior on my old college TV and she went home. I slept better.Day 2:The morning I got some bins hoping to be able to go inside and get some stuff. Instead it's brought to my attention that the building is unsafe and I wouldn't be allowed in. I'd have to wait till next Weds to get my things. Will my comics last? Will anything last? I don't know. Pat swung by and we hit up Panera. I like Panera bread, just not sliced bread. Afterwards I went to my 3rd Old Navy and guess what...NO JEANS IN MY SIZE! Am I fat? Seriously tell me. I bought a shirt, got my new comics at the store, and went back to the site. After sorting through what's going down the next week, I finally went home to read some comics and get on the web. I really want to document most of what's happened and keep everyone informed.Everyone has been incredibley helpful and kind during this entire thing. Thing is the best way to put it since it's so much rolled into 1. If you got questions or anything, shoot and e-mail or call. E-mail will take a while to respond unless I'm at work because my parents basement is colder than Frostie's penis. Yes, Frostie the Snowman has a penis, he's a SnowMAN right? I'm off to shower and possibly put on new close, and try and cough out the smoke and hazardous chemicals I'm sure to have swallowed. Seriously though, I'm ok and wearing clothes only made by Old Navy and Hanes.


No comments: